The Greater Kansas City Japan Festival (GKCJF) is presented by the Kansas City chapter of the Heart of America – Japan America Society and is ran entirely by volunteers in association with employees of Johnson County Community College.
The festival was first hosted on the campus of the University of Missouri – Kansas City in 1997. A few years later, the festival relocated to our current location at Johnson County Community College. Each year, the festival introduces and educates 4,000+ visitors each year on the culture of Japan.
This year was another fantastic success! Thank you to everyone who volunteered with us and to everyone who came out to spend the day celebrating the culture of Japan!
A Huge Thank to our Featured Guests
- akai SKY – a Japanese/English contemporary rock band that flew in from San Francisco.
- Scott SK Miller – a local Japanese-English rap group.
- J-POP – Aya and Jo. Aya Uchida is a Japanese professional pop singer from Kyoto, Japan. Jo Yamanaka accompanied Aya on the guitar.
- All our Taiko groups performed together in one powerful display of music on the Taiko drums.
- Miyuki – The Candy Artist came in for her 15th year!